SWAY is to move from side to side, to sway between research and design, to sway between the facts of the past and to become the future. Sway is about power, about influence, about guidance. Sway is to refresh and replenish, a renewed opportunity. Sway is neither here nor there; sway is in between the philosopher, the scientist, and the craftsman. Sway is the internode, the space where magic occurs, the space so often overlooked. Sway is the depth.
Studio Sway is a design studio with a strong focus on research through design. Although managed solely by its founder Shaakira Jassat, the nature of the work at Sway is such that it may call on experts from respective fields when necessary, depending on the design brief, thus making it multidisciplinary.
Shaakira was born and raised in South Africa and now lives in the Netherlands. Her previous profession in the architecture/interior field, together with her upbringing in a young democracy plays a role in informing her work. In her latest projects she focuses on ecological resources, architecture, food and society, following an intensive drought in Cape Town between 2015 and 2018.
Her research methods range from being on and off field all the way to multidisciplinary experimental research. She uses the tools design offers her to express her passion for the way the world functions and how we all behave in it. She believes that design should function as a form of social engagement and it is up to designers to alter the status quo.
Shaakira secured a B.Sc. in Interior Architecture at the University of Pretoria – South Africa, and later moved abroad to further studies at the Design Academy Eindhoven in the Netherlands. She now lives and works in the Netherlands.
- Dezeen Virtual Design Festival Fuorisalone Milan Virtual Design Week Kazerne Design Award 2020 Winner Dutch Design Week 2020 Tea Drop Dutch Design Week 2020 ShellDwell Verbinding Exhibition with RASA 2021 - Embracing Water ZAPP your PLANET Aquatecture TV Debut Green Concept Award Nominee 2021 Aquatecture
- Harvesting water from unexpected places - Design Indaba Dutch Institute of Food and Design Food for thought - Edible Ottawa Magazine Page 8-10 Dopper Changemaker Challenge - finalist Food Art Week - Berlin Edible Futures at IDS Vancouver Dutch Design Week GS19 Bio Art Labs Talent Pressure Cooker DDW Hivos African Crossroads Kenya Aquatecture Dezeen Aquatecture Core 77 Aquatecture Specifier Source Aquatecture Springwise Intelligence Aquatecture Material District Aquatecture Luxorr Media
- A/D/O New York - The water we spill Ontwerpwedstrijd Cor Unum – Finalist Dutch Design Daily DAMN Magazine Artsthread Creative Bloq Design Indaba Women in Design Design Indaba Global Graduates Design Indaba Festival - Profile Design Indaba Talk
- Pavilion Indonesia Horecava Amsterdam
- Salone del Mobile Milano Exercise for Good Shit in Milan Precious plastic with Dave Hakkens